While trying to get a demo up and running for Adam Cogan, I ran into the following error in Dashboard Designer when trying to create a new data source.
Trying to find the cause of this I ventured into: Central Admin | Manage Service Applications | PerformancePoint Service Application | PerformancePoint Service Application Settings and when trying to specify the unattended service account I got the following error:
What’s happening here is that the Secure Store Service needs the administrator to generate a new key so that it can encrypt data that needs to be stored on SharePoint.
Here’s the fix:
- Navigate to Central Administration | Manage Service Applications | Secure Store Service
- Click Generate New Key from the ribbon
- Type in a pass phrase and click OK
- Navigate to Central Administration | Manage Service Applications | PerformancePoint Service Application | Performance Point Service Application Settings
- Configure the unattended service account
- Start using Dashboard Designer
For those curious, what I was trying to do was create some report elements in PerformancePoint Services and publish them to SharePoint. Here’s one of the reports I generated using Dashboard designer connected to the TFS Analysis Services Cube
I can see a few key facts from these stats: